Wednesday 29 February 2012

Modelling the Character

Tutorial link that helped to me to create my character.

To create my character I firstly started by creating a cube which I then split into segments to allow designated areas for the arms legs and head. This cube would form the torso of the body.


To create the extended parts from the torso I created the object into an editable poly. Editable Poly is an editable object with five sub-object levels: vertex, edge, border, polygon, and element. Its usage is similar to that of an editable mesh object, with controls for manipulating an object as a polygon mesh at various sub-object levels. Rather than triangular faces, however, the poly object's faces are polygons with any number of vertices.
 I selected the face of each segment and right clicked. This allowed me to either extrude or bevel. I used bevel mainly for areas such as the head. This allowed me to increase the width at certain areas as well as decrease the width at thinner areas. This gave the body a realistic shape.
To create the arms I decided to make them on a separate file and attach them on. The reason for this was so they were the correct shape and in the correct angle to be hanging from the parachute. I simply made the arms by using the rectangle tool and the bevelling tool to shape the arms. For the fingers I simply cut the hand into more segments to create the fingers in a gripped position.

The problems I faced whilst creating my character were I found the extrude tool quite difficult to use for the legs. I feel it was hard to create the leg structure using the basic tools.However I was pleased with the arms i had created,once these were complete I cloned and flipped them into position. 


Once the human was complete I applied the turbosmooth modifier.
TurboSmooth lets you subdivide the geometry while interpolating the angles of new faces at corners and edges, and apply a single smoothing group to all faces in the object. The effect of TurboSmooth is to round over corners and edges as if they had been filed or planed smooth. Use TurboSmooth parameters to control the size and number of new faces, and how they affect the surface of the object.

No comments:

Post a Comment